[REL] Gritta vom Rattenschloß (1985)

ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Gritta vom Rattenschloß (1985)

Post by ghost »   179 likes

Full HD without any TV Logo:
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

[Image]

I hope you'll enjoy. ;)

Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.57 Gb]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   7 likes

Wonderful!

English subtitles from opensubtitles:
Gritta von Rattenzuhausbeiuns (1985).1080p.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

This is the sixth time I'll be downloading this! I am unsure of the variations in quality that I've come across and honestly, thinking someday I'd have to go in and figure out which one is the one I want to watch has been kinda daunting. This is one of the flm related movies that I discovered shortly before flm, and indirectly is one of the films which ultimately led me here to flm! I watched the first few minutes quite enjoyed the sprightly setting and characters! I am thinking THIS one will be my definitive version. Thanks, ghost!

And thanks again to Night, master of subs.
Zorijer

Post by Zorijer »   1 likes

More detailed image than the 1.86GB 720p version, at least. (VLC's 'Jump to specific time' and the optional frame-by-frame button have been helpful with this, though different programs zoom into pictures differently, some distorting more. Running low on disk space has also helped me avoid saving alternative versions...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I remembered the rats of course but totally forgot the big fluffy dog! :icon_bounce
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

The 720p version I got a year or more ago broke up into terrible mpeg blocks in the "water scene" at around 51m30s. Video compression algorithums hate when everything is sharp and most everything is moving, water, fireworks, TV static, explosions. I'm hoping the 1080p version improves on this? The picture for the most part was stunning, and having seen this ripped to CD size over a decade ago it's amazing the quality of modern rips, even old films - but it's a shame if the rip suffers for bandwidth especially on key scenes.
Obviously throwing more data at it helps, and making sure you don't set an upper limit on the data bandwidth helps too.

If people "do" want to limit video data rate it's possible using settings like this in the mp4 algorithum in the dialogue box that allows manual settings
Virtual dub:
--vbv-maxrate 8000 --vbv-bufsize 2000
Handbrake:
vbv-maxrate=8000:vbv-bufsize=2000
Where 8000 is a speed limit of kbit, which divide by 8 and you get 1megabyte a second. ie. at this speed a 1hr movie would be 3.6gb of video. Of course this is an upper limit, and the lower limit can drop to near zero in some scenes.
Why would anyone use this? It's often very useful to do this to bring down file sizes and sacrifice data on scenes where things are moving fast and you don't want data and quality wasted on fast action. It can often drop the file size by a third on some scenes with almost no noticable difference.

I think satellite and TV stations are limited to quite a low bandwidth due to limits of satellite data - though in the last decade with HD broadcasts and maybe more satellite it's not so bad. Some of the music channels on European satellite TV were truly unwatchable due to mpeg noise! I read ages ago they do some clever things like multiplex 8 channels together and if one channel has fast moving action then data is slightly sacrificed from the other 7 to help the first. Fine unless all 8 are carrying sport or something. There also seems to be a urge to cram more channels down the pipe than for quality.
Night457
Global Moderator

David32441 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:47 pm The 720p version I got a year or more ago broke up into terrible mpeg blocks in the "water scene" at around 51m30s. Video compression algorithums hate when everything is sharp and most everything is moving, water, fireworks, TV static, explosions. I'm hoping the 1080p version improves on this?
Water is so difficult in digital.

I looked again at the 720p version and I easily see what you mean. The 1080p is definitely an improvement in that respect, but you will probably still see sharp digital edges in the water, though likely not the big chunky blocks. Sorry. I was only reviewing it on a small computer monitor. (A 35mm print should avoid that. A 4k UHD release is probably asking too much.) Of course the entire film generally looks great in 1080p; I don't think there are many problematic scenes like that one.

I probably should NOT be watching that scene at .25x speed if I want it to look its smoothest. :D The slower speed also makes the audio really freaky and the scene horrific.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:30 am
David32441 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:47 pm The 720p version I got a year or more ago broke up into terrible mpeg blocks in the "water scene" at around 51m30s. Video compression algorithums hate when everything is sharp and most everything is moving, water, fireworks, TV static, explosions. I'm hoping the 1080p version improves on this?
Water is so difficult in digital.

I looked again at the 720p version and I easily see what you mean. The 1080p is definitely an improvement in that respect, but you will probably still see sharp digital edges in the water, though likely not the big chunky blocks. Sorry. I was only reviewing it on a small computer monitor. (A 35mm print should avoid that. A 4k UHD release is probably asking too much.) Of course the entire film generally looks great in 1080p; I don't think there are many problematic scenes like that one.

I probably should NOT be watching that scene at .25x speed if I want it to look its smoothest. :D The slower speed also makes the audio really freaky and the scene horrific.
I think the 720p definitely was a HD TV screening? Ghost mentions the 1080p doesn't have a TV logo?
Ghost did you remove the TV logo with something like VirtualDub's de-logo filter? Or is it a new source?, or an upscale of the 1080p? The 1080p definitely seems like an improvement!
Yeah, slow audio makes them all sound like monsters :)
Topaz can do some amazing things with the mpeg blocking - it actually seems to detect them and smooth them in a way that doesn't look like just a blur filter!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Ghost did you remove the TV logo with something like VirtualDub's de-logo filter?
No, you'd notice the removed logo.

The source was from from Amazon Prime Video in SD.
Night457
Global Moderator

David32441 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:42 pmThe 1080p definitely seems like an improvement!
Yeah, slow audio makes them all sound like monsters :)
I am glad you were pleased with the improvement, because I know that *I* liked it a lot. I know that some people can be very sensitive to certain quality issues, while other people (like me at times, apparently) remain oblivious to them. I have to look really closely.

So you watched that scene in slo-mo too, huh? :D For quality checking only, of course.