ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Tumbleweeds (1999)

Post by ghost »   2 likes

Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Almost 3 years later and you can still remember, or figure it out. Wow.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 pm Almost 3 years later and you can still remember, or figure it out. Wow.
Yes, I'm old. :? But not too old to remember certain things. ;)
Especially I remember this one, because it really surprised me, that a german version does exist and in HD.
Night457
Global Moderator

Ahhh, I see, something that made it stand out. I can remember the movie that brought me to FLM, for example. But other than that -- old or not, 3 years is a long time for anyone to remember!

EDIT: I suddenly realized that I can remember the movie that brought me to FLM, but I can not remember the NAME of it. Sheesh.

"That one with the girl and the boy who spend a lot of time together secretly. It was directed by that guy ..." LOL
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 pm Ahhh, I see, something that made it stand out. I can remember the movie that brought me to FLM, for example. But other than that -- old or not, 3 years is a long time for anyone to remember!

EDIT: I suddenly realized that I can remember the movie that brought me to FLM, but I can not remember the NAME of it. Sheesh.

"That one with the girl and the boy who spend a lot of time together secretly. It was directed by that guy ..." LOL
Could it be...

THIS ONE?!

:arrow: The Forest

It was that hint you put in quotation marks that helped me figure out the mystery. Once you mentioned that one guy, it was like, oh yeaaah that one!
orangelamp

Post by orangelamp »   2 likes

I noticed something interesting about the poster for this movie. On IMDB there is a photo (presumably a production still) that was used as the basis for the poster. If you compare the two, you can see that somebody photoshopped (pretty poorly) some cleavage on the young girl for the poster!

[Image]

[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:01 am It was that hint you put in quotation marks that helped me figure out the mystery. Once you mentioned that one guy, it was like, oh yeaaah that one!
I don't know how the heck you figured that out, because my description was so ridiculously vague. A girl and a boy spending time together? In a film at FLM?? No way! And since directors are still mostly male, most movies are directed by "that guy".

But I had posted the answer in "that thread", so it is confirmed. Funnily enough, I soon managed to remember the name of the director, so I knew I could look him up on IMDB to figure out the (rather generic) name of movie if I had to, and I stopped thinking about it.
orangelamp wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:57 amyou can see that somebody photoshopped (pretty poorly) some cleavage on the young girl for the poster!
Wow. Now I would expect them to hysterically hide such things on a young girl when it is actually there. I guess it is true that Hollyweird has long been out to sex them up in movies and advertising.

The poster image is so brightened that their tans disappear and it looks like they will bake on that beach.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Good observation, orangelamp. I honestly would have never noticed that additional shading for the cleavage, nor would I have been able to determine if it was poorly or well done.

I actually remember watching this one (Tumbleweeds) when I rented it over twenty years ago! Around the same time, I also rented "Anywhere But Here" which was mentioned in the OP, but I don't recall if it was at the same time. I know I enjoyed both movies, but I am more fuzzy on Tumbleweeds. Maybe I'll add this to the watchlist.

Oh yeah Night, I'm glad you mentioned "that guy" that one time because it did lead me to another one of those rare, cherished films where "girl and a boy spend time together." I love it when that happens! (in some cases, i don't even mind if there is no boy).

Seriously though, I was able to recollect the name because I remembered adding the movie to my watchlist notes. While browsing flm, I occasionally come across movies I have never heard of, but have quite a bit of member response or recommendations, and often enough they also seem interesting enough to me, so I write them in my watchlist, usually hastily so I don't forget, along with brief notes. Check it:

Spoiler:

to watch next

lamb
mein erstes wunder
le nouveau testament
my queen karo
mariken
balkonas
liars fires and bears
about scout
muidhond tench
Un confine incerto (2019) (one of night's faves)
adoration
curefew
el nido
eva
la tutora
nine meals from chaios - flm membrs recommend
these final hours / transmission - possible post-apoc interest
alice in den
wrony
moon rock for monday
!bhantu mama - watched, now post discussion for ghost
superman undies short
elephant walk
philippino undies film
beautiful girls
daimi denmark short
little darlings
show me the way to the station (watched, now REL!!)
the company of wolves (pop recs)
kleine zeige, ... bock (pop recs)
pia piano (looks cute and dark-ish)
bleue french short film!
womb 2010 looks odd
Jutro bedzie niebo
digging to china
the forest ( led night to flm)
Dážď padá na naše duše (2002) (slovak leon-themed movie)
Kamilla & Tyven (1988) norw flm classic
Heinähattu ja Vilttitossu (2002) - pleasant finnish watch, kev recommends
wolf girl - okami shojo japanese rarbg looks interesting, not on flm!!
paperhouse
daniel fait face - deadman says in for a treat
Petit Poussin (2020) [France] - mute girl, frenh short, no subs
Ulvepigen Tinke AKA Little Big Girl (2002) - looks like a classic, night enjoyed
voyna anny - anny's war - russ i think. one of night's faves

that one where the czech? girl has to watch her younger siblings and still go to school and is tired

that cheerful czech one with the girl that walk around an has fun. maybe there's a firehose?

cekani n dest??

check for daddy daughter road trip threads -mostly done

kung fu to watch next:

boxer's omen
mysery of chess boxing
long road to gallantry
twelve deadly coins
valley of fangs
pai yu jing
broken oath
7 grandmasters !!
warriors two - wing chun
avenging eagle
brothers 5
savage 5 idiot recommends, lesser knowm fu fun
the sword (golden harvest)
tiger killer watch then REL
king eagle watch then REL fix
journey of the doomed - REL material
demon of the lute REL - UGR
ambush REL
Like I said, they are added hastily, so there are quite a number of typos, and some of my notes are about as specific as Night's synopsis of that one movie, you know, that like, it had some trees, or something.
Night457
Global Moderator

All of our posts in the Mariken thread and you STILL have not watched it??!?!?!?
pillowbaker wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:41 am that one where the czech? girl has to watch her younger siblings and still go to school and is tired

that cheerful czech one with the girl that walk around an has fun. maybe there's a firehose?
A firehose?

If these are not here already then jezevex could probably find them! If you figure out what they are, please post in their threads. I am especially interested in cheerful Czech films.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Well, I admit, some of those "notes" haven't been updated, so I have seen some of those on the list. But I haven't watched all of Mariken yet, oddly enough. I was considering waiting for potential subs, but I decided a while ago to not worry about them and just watch the rest already (still in the works).

Hope my list doesn't get your hopes up too much. I suspect that Czech movie is one you already heard about, and it may be that next one on the list, Cekání na dést (1977) or possibly Dívka s mušlí (1980).

I'll definitely double check for you! Those chipper Czech movies just have a entrancing lilt to them, such joys to watch. Some of those were added to the list from memory of watching short segments from random low quality streams on youtube.