Subtitles with Cyrilic alphabet

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
abel

Subtitles with Cyrilic alphabet

Post by abel »   0 likes

Looking for subtitles for Ha-Kayitz Shel Aviya I found only Russian, which are of course written in Cyrillic alphabet. When playing them in AVI player I got only illegible characters (more or less expected this). How can I play them in their original from? Thx in advance for your advice.
emuler

Re: Subtitles with Cyrilic alphabet

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I'm assuming that your computer is already set up to show Cyrillic fonts properly.

Go to the subtitle settings for the media player and try changing the default font for subtitles.
jkecal

Post by jkecal »   0 likes

Using inteligent player (e.g. VLC), you can watch subtitles in almost any language, when the *.sub file is encoded using UNICODE encoding (UTF16 BE, UTF16 LE, UTF8) and starts with BOM marker (in corresponding encoding). It works for various Latin encodings, cyrilic, chinese, devangari (Hindu) etc. You can see even e.g. film Cleopatra with hieroglyph subtitles, is you find them and convert to unicode. And, naturalyy, if you like it.

Problem is, that majority of subtitles in national languages are encoded using 8-bit codepage encoding. You must first recognise the endoding - I often open file in MS Word, which recognises "exotic" encoding and ask to select proper one by examples.

For similar reason, I use my own program; the same is well for konversion from 8-bit encoding to UNICODE.
Some work can be done using Word, Wordpad and Notepad - I have used it formely.

You must set font supporting corresponding characters in you player, but you can leave default encoding to yout common encoding - player recognises Unicode encoding by BOM mark. So, you can use subtitles in your language in 8-bit encoding, but you should convert "exotic" subtitles to UNICODE (preferably UTF8).

Full tables of UNICODE encoding can be found on http://unicode.org/charts .

Under Windows, all conversion can be made automatically using classes Encoding, StreamReader and StreamWriter, but it is rather too technical oriented.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

For any SRT subtitles with weird ascents I open with Notepad++. Then copy-paste to Google translate to translate them to english - but only up to 5000 characters at a time. Usually do subtitle 1-70, 71-140 etc. Copy-paste output to Editpad (my preferred text editor).
Afterwards to be a proper readable SRT you need to do a search replace on:
-> to -->
": " to ":"
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

David32441 wrote:For any SRT subtitles with weird ascents I open with Notepad++.
Have you tried Subtitle Edit for these problematic subtitle files? It also uses Google for its auto-translate and usually allows you to do the whole file, rather than in parts. I have used it on Cyrillic-Russian.

This may mean less work for you.

[EDIT: Now I see your other post mentioning Subtitle Edit, so perhaps you were already aware of this.]
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

Does anyone know how to OCR for Chinese characters, the Korean alphabet and the Cyrillic alphabet?
So, how do I use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on movies which have hard-coded subtitles (aka burnt-in subtitles) ?

Which software might perform that function?
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I hate OCR so much that I think the best way to do it is to let someone else do it, ha ha! This is particularly true if you are not familiar with the characters. All OCR can make decent guesses with an automated pass but will have errors. It requires user correction for similar-looking characters. If I tried to get Chinese characters correct I would fail terribly. I can just barely manage suffering through the OCR process on English.

For OCRing subtitles, the experts here recommend VideoSubFinder, but since I have not been brave enough to seriously try it, I do not know if it works well (or at all) for Chinese, Korean and Cyrillic.

From another thread where I asked about OCRing subtitles:
ghost wrote:Yes, it's called VideoSubFinder. https://sourceforge.net/projects/videosubfinder/

You can find a tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd36qODmYF8

It's the easiest way to do this.
Ziggy, you are very brave and I wish you success.

Does anyone know if VideoSubFinder works with the above-mentioned character sets?
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Does anyone know if VideoSubFinder works with the above-mentioned character sets?
I guess not, but I didn't try yet.