[REL] Das Doppelte Lottchen (1950)

DreamScape

Re: [REL] Das Doppelte Lottchen (1950)

Post by DreamScape »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:20 pm I am convinced that the latest version of SubitleEdit is buggy because I am finding more and more files where if I do any kind of translation or correction then the lines are surprisingly out of sync with the video. I need to either sync a virgin unchanged source file OR go back to using an older version of SubtitleEdit to see if there is a difference. In this case, I had time available to do spelling, grammar, and line spacing corrections BEFORE I had any downloads completed, so I did. I think some of the AI-enhanced automated corrections made unwarranted changes. What, me paranoid?
I recently discovered a secret option that forces SubtitleEdit to translate each line individually. This should stop lines from going out of sync but it does prevent context of previous/proceeding lines from being used. When the translation dialog opens, right click in the window.

[Image]

Alternatively, if you use ChatGPT, you could use chatgpt-subtitle-translator. There is a commandline you can run on your own machine or you could use the web interface. Both options will require an API key.

https://cerlancism.github.io/chatgpt-su ... ranslator/
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

THANK YOU, my hero!! I will try that "Translate single lines" option for some files I am having trouble with, where the results are so terrible that I stopped watching.

I have been avoiding even finding out what an API Key *IS* for a few years now.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I recently discovered a secret option that forces SubtitleEdit to translate each line individually.
Thanks for this "option". Yes, I also noticed that some lines are getting out of sync when translating with SE. But only some lines, and it can be fixed easily while editing.

If we're talking about ChatGPT: I found this online translator: https://www.syedgakbar.com/projects/dst

A translation with ChatGPT isn't for free, but it is less than half a dollar/euro.
It is fast, easy to use and gives you good results.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I am one of those crazy people who prefers to actually watch the video before I tackle the job of correcting the subtitles. (If I perfect the subtitles first, all surprises are spoiled, and then it just becomes WORK with the entertainment lost.) I have noticed the "some lines" getting excessive, and bewildering me with who is saying what.

So ... what I can do is give a first watch for a video with each line translated individually, and THEN possibly create a better translation with the software allowed to use the context of other lines. And lines repositioned in error can be fixed during editing with reference to the original language subtitle.

I just started doing this with a TV show. Having each line in the correct place stopped the insects crawling and the firecrackers popping in my head. This option is a huge relief, DreamScape! And if it turns out that I do not want to take the time to correct and improve the basic machine translation, AT LEAST I have had a single viewing where I could relax and understand who is saying which line, even if it is not perfect English.

However, there is NO GOOD REASON for a Subtitle Editing program to change the timing and line number of subtitles in a translation. These are subtitles, not a novel or a technical manual, and the timing is an essential feature of subtitles. THIS IS A GLITCH, a fault in SubtitleEdit, and they NEED to fix it. TRANSLATE in context, but keep the timing the same. I demand my money's worth from software!!

Yeah, I know it's free...