[REL] Le grand chemin (1987)

DreamScape

Re: [REL] Le grand chemin (1987)

Post by DreamScape »   0 likes

If the 8GB file is free of defects, then I'm interested. Thanks :)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:38 pm I might be crazy but sometimes I think that with real life films/shows I can kind of sense if it’s an upscale.
You are NOT crazy about that. You are younger and must have better eyes than I do.

There are also older people here with better eyes than mine who can notice it too.
ferdi111 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:53 pm That 5gb tv rip seems to be different than Kesni's 3,29 gb (tried English subs)
It IS different. It does NOT have commercial remnants and does NOT have a TV logo watermark. It is sourced from a different, most likely premium channel.
goku33 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:57 pm Do I get this right that you’ve all basically abandoned that 12-14gb file (Chinese rip)?
I know that *I* have. I don't want a larger file if it is not BETTER, and digital breakup pisses me off! Coincidence or not, when DVDs brought that to the table also happens to be when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. :lol:
(I’m confused why the 1080p.hdtv is on the table again)
Because NO ONE bothered to evaluate it and report back, good or bad, after pillowbaker's initial post! I DID. HDTV is better than shit defective blu-ray. I was also tired of discussing multiple downloads. There are surely many FLM members who do not care to read my pages and pages of blah blah blah, so I gave them a post with pictures and an ed2k Release, and they can decide if they want it. This was after I took care of my own wish to watch the damn movie again! I watched it twice, and I did not fall asleep either time! This one is really really good, and gets better every time I watch it.
Is there interest in these:

LE.GRAND.CHEMIN.1987.FRENCH.1080P.BDRIP.X264.AC3-FIST 8GB
The answer is YES YES YES. But I agree with DreamScape:
DreamScape wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:36 pm If the 8GB file is free of defects, then I'm interested. Thanks :)
If a BDRIP does not have those glitches, then it is most likely better than HDTV. But I refuse to put off watching a movie indefinitely in the hope that I will eventually have the "perfect" version. I won't live long enough, I need to watch what I have and enjoy it. If something better comes later, great!
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:08 pm What do you like or enjoy the most about ‚Le Grand Chemin‘ ?
I guess I have always liked cheeky and self-confident young girls like Martine, particularly when they are not shy and more than a little naughty.

But I have also come to appreciate the gravel-voiced actor Richard Bohringer (here in the role of Pelo), also seen at FLM in [REL] Du Sel Sur La Peau (1984) and [REL] Après la guerre (1989). His character adds real depth to the movie, in particular...
Spoiler:

... the ongoing pain and grief felt by both him and his wife over their infant lost in childbirth over 9 years before, neither of them able to provide comfort for the other. Aside from young Louis starting to learn not to be such a crybaby mama's boy due to his charming relationship with Martine, the movie shows the ultimately salutory effect the presence of a young boy has on the relationship between the two adults.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Thanks for emuling the file, Night. I have taken my copy and am helping source it over emule now. I decided to keep the momohd encode as well. I wonder how many different version of this movie I'll have when I'm done. ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

MOVIE TITLE QUESTION

This is for anyone who is fluent in both French and English.

The English title of "The Grand Highway" makes it sound like some big and exciting adventure. But isn't the real sense of the French actually just "the main road", something perfectly mundane? Because pretty much every single town or region in the world has one main road leading to it.

I suppose one could see it as ordinary childhood events that are hugely important and significant for those experiencing them.

[P.S.: I just noticed this got an R certificate in the U.S. What a crock of s***! The Germany and various Scandinavian ratings of 11 or 12 seem reasonable to me. I suppose the rug munching scene pushed it over the edge for the MPAA.]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

I was actually wondering about this as well. In English, the phrase Grand Highway has connotations of being more of a fantastical or celebrated route to somewhere special. Yes, this movie IS very special. But this a good question. I am not fluent in French, so I am curious to hear about what anyone else can say.

Based off of what I found, Night may have a point. While trying to get google and deepl to turn out a phrase with main road, both offer consistently la route principale, and for Grand Chemin, it says "the great way" or "the main road" as well as alternatives like "The long road" or "The long way".

On reverso, it offers a bit of both as well, with main road consistently coming up as "grande route", but then also using "route prinicipale".
https://dictionary.reverso.net/english-french/main+road

Context reverso has a few meanings for grand chemin, including "main highway", "long way", and interestingly, "the high road" (an idiom in English, as in, "the high road to fortune").
https://context.reverso.net/translation ... and+chemin

My best guess would be that it can be used as the mundane main road, as in "let's just take the main road into town", but ALSO has exciting and adventuresome connotations in other contexts.

Other insight might be provided by looking at the alternate movie titles for other countries. For Germany, it is "Am großen Weg". Can anyone tell us is that is more like main road or grand highway? Google nicely gives us "Sur le grand chemin".

Dutch "De grote weg" gives us "the major road". Norwegian "En sommer for livet" gives us "A summer of a lifetime".
Night457
Global Moderator

Wow, that is a lot of great research, pillowbaker! Thanks! It does not answer the question definitively, but it gives a lot to think about.

I began thinking of this first because of the early Title drop moment where the bus driver announces in the standard English subtitle that they have reached "The Grand Highway". Unless that is the actual NAME of that stretch of asphalt, it seems more likely he would be saying they have reached "the main road" (into town). He hardly seems like Good Witch Glinda telling Louis to "Follow Le Grand Chemin, follow Le Grand Chemin"! He is good-natured, but not quite THAT whimsical.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   2 likes

There are some releases at rarbg and https://btdig.com/ under the title The Grand Highway
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

ferdi111 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:35 am There are some releases at rarbg and https://btdig.com/ under the title The Grand Highway
Great that RARBG is catching up! Here is a summary of torrents that I reviewed:

*** AVOID THESE TORRENTS, THEY HAVE DIGITAL GLITCHES: ***
The Grand Highway (1987) [FRENCH] [1080p] [BluRay] [YTS.MX] (1.78GB)
The.Grand.Highway.1987.FRENCH.1080p.BluRay.x264.DD2.0-PTer (14.99GB)
Le.grand.chemin.1987.1080p.BluRay.DD2.0.x264-PTer (14.99GB)
Le.grand.chemin.1987.1080p.BluRay.DD2.0.x264-MOMOHD (14.99GB)

###########################################################
THESE ONES SEEM TO BE GOOD:
The.Grand.Highway.1987.FRENCH.1080p.BluRay.x265-VXT (1.67GB)
The.Grand.Highway.1987.FRENCH.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-VXT (2.04GB)
(I downloaded and reviewed them quickly. They do NOT have the glitches seen in the other torrents.)

###########################################################
THIS ONE IS DEFINITELY GOOD. I WATCHED IT. Thank you to goku33 for sharing it!
LE.GRAND.CHEMIN.1987.FRENCH.1080P.BDRIP.X264.AC3-FIST
(8.2GB)
Uploaded to ulozto: https://ulozto.net/file/PaUXx3b9THjW/le ... usrGZ2Lt==

English subtitles with corrections:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DreamScape

Post by DreamScape »   2 likes

Thank you Night for taking the time to review these files for us. Greatly appreciated!