[REL] Bastard Out of Carolina (1996)

deadman

Re: [REL] Bastard Out of Carolina (1996)

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Sully23 wrote:I barely heard about the movie but my question, ¿what will those 5 minutes be eliminated?
As ghost mentioned, this version is 25 fps. Different framerates aren't something you notice explicitly while viewing but they can produce a variation in length of several minutes over the 90-120 minutes of the average movie. Sometimes people mistakenly assume scenes were cut. Always check the framerates on different sources.
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

You are right, even if I compare it with the old version where it is 5 min. I will see the movie is intact
I thought that the movie has a very strong theme and scenes, so it happens with some when they release DVDs tend to do it
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

PAL uses 25 frames per second while NTSC uses 30 frames per second. When a PAL film is played in NTSC format, those 5 frames every second are "missing" so the action is faster and the total length is shorter. When an NTSC film is played in PAL format, the extra 5 frames per second make the film slower and longer.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Sorry for being pedantic, but I think the above is not 100% true :P

Theatrical movies are 24 fps. When converted to PAL, they are played slightly faster (25 fps), but speeding them up to 30 fps (NTSC, 30000/1001 fps, to be exact) would be too noticeable, so 6 extra frames are added. The latter can be done by DVD player, so the DVD has 24 fps physically. That's why many NTSC rips have 24 fps (24000/1001) framerate.

So, a 120m theatrical movie plays 120m NTSC and 120*24/25 = 115m PAL.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup So what happens between the NTSC 525 lines/60Hz compared to PAL's 625 lines/50Hz. Are the extra lines cut off like happened in Pretty Baby?
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:Ahh, thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup So what happens between the NTSC 525 lines/60Hz compared to PAL's 625 lines/50Hz. Are the extra lines cut off like happened in Pretty Baby?
That's more of an aspect ratio issue - changing from 4:3 format (old TV screen) to 16:9 (widescreen). Either you'll get black bars on the sides, or you'll crop the top and/or bottom.
dannyb

Post by dannyb »   0 likes

I am still Traumatized after watching this movie pore kid
Tiny Blondie

Post by Tiny Blondie »   1 likes

dannyb wrote:I am still Traumatized after watching this movie pore kid
As I was when watched it. It’s horrible. It kills me to know that photographers like Sally Mann and others got troubles for their works, or that guys get arrested for downloading or watching series with nude kids, but here you can buy, own or watch that hurting movie. Owning Pretty Baby could lead you to troubles or at least rise suspicions, but this film none, not a surprise in a society that does devote a cult for violence (look at the cinema, it’s almost all above murders, blood, war, guns).
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta.
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   1 likes

As a spectator I even felt that Jena Malone herself suffered a lot after being attacked by Ron Eldard, the scenes seem quite real, and that Houndog had seen first.
emuler

Post by emuler »   2 likes

Don't knock the film itself - it is a beautiful film with a powerful and very relevant message. In no way does it titillate the viewer, or glorify rape. And just like no one is actually killed during filming of violent films, no one actually got raped during filming. The fact that it affects us so powerfully was intentional, and kudos to the director and actors everyone involved for doing such a marvellous job. Jena Malone is an amazing actress - I also loved her in several other films, eg. Ellen Foster and The Whole Nine Yards.

This was a film, but it highlights the plight of children everywhere, around the world, who are often neglected by their parents and therefore vulnerable to abuse. Hopefully, seeing this will sensitise the viewers to these issues.