[REL] A Menina Do Lado (1987) [Brazil]

goku33

Re: [REL] A Menina Do Lado (1987) [Brazil]

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

David32441 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:38 pm That'd be great if somebody could get the LD and digitise it!!! All you need is a LD player that has the yellow analogue video out. Plug that into a video card that can take the analogue video - I have such a card but no LD player. Am sure it would upscale well to 720p even!
Am surprised nobody in the world has aquired the Japanese LD and made a upgrade!

It’s nice to see that the LD gets sold regularly on the used market. I had only seen one Twitter user posting photos of the LD before.
endurro

Post by endurro »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:45 pm Thanks, that’s great insight! It indeed seems like a complete & good film. The script/writing being the most important basis for it. I’m very close to tracking down the German dubbed version of the film as well.
Personally, I hate dubbing. I prefer to watch foreign films with a professional lector so that I can hear the original in the background or original soundtrack with subtitles.
Rus, Eng, Ger and other subtitles are probably not a problem for the film "Sara".
Of course, it is important that the subtitles are professional and convey the film's humour and atmosphere, as these two aspects are very important in this film. The same applies to the excellent acting. I can't imagine watching such films with dubbing done in a studio by other actors. As I wrote, I hate films with dubbing, especially if it is dubbed in my language but I understand those who like dubbing. It's a matter of taste.

I can tolerate dubbing in other languages e.g. a Finnish film with English dubbing but I always prefer the original soundtrack.
I prefer to watch a foreign film with subtitles than with dubbing in my language. And it suits me best to watch such a film with a professional lector.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thank you for your comments, endurro!

The professional lector is something almost completely alien to those who are not used to that tradition. I know that there are frequent comments here expressing disdain for the Russian voiceovers of non-Russian movies. I admit that I share the antipathy. My preference is FIRST for the original language with subtitles, SECOND for the original language without subtitles, THIRD for an English dub. (My sole language.) That is a distant third, since American dubs are often wretched.

I can tolerate dubbing mainly for routine genre pictures that I have already seen in the original language, and just want to have an easy watch without reading or thinking. I have to admit that there are certain Japanese monster movies or Hong Kong martial arts movies that honestly are not focused on characterization or the acting abilities of the cast. (Many of them are or become good actors, they just did not always get a chance to show it.) I have learned that certain countries have a long tradition of professional dubbing (like Germany and Italy) and I have to admit that the results often sound good to me, with care taken to choose voices that seem to fit the characters. When I encounter a "foreign" movie that is actually dubbed in Russian, rather than the usual voiceover, I get positively excited: they too can be very well done. I still prefer the original, but it can be an interesting alternate choice.

I was delighted to hear from someone who LIKES the lectors, explaining their own view! I was certain that many people DO like them, because they are a well-established tradition. Thank you for challenging me to think about my own preferences. I really do hate stewing in a vacuum of my prejudices, as I would much rather at least be intelligently informed about the alternatives.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

endurro wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:20 pm
goku33 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:45 pm Thanks, that’s great insight! It indeed seems like a complete & good film. The script/writing being the most important basis for it. I’m very close to tracking down the German dubbed version of the film as well.
Personally, I hate dubbing. I prefer to watch foreign films with a professional lector so that I can hear the original in the background or original soundtrack with subtitles.
Rus, Eng, Ger and other subtitles are probably not a problem for the film "Sara".
Of course, it is important that the subtitles are professional and convey the film's humour and atmosphere, as these two aspects are very important in this film. The same applies to the excellent acting. I can't imagine watching such films with dubbing done in a studio by other actors. As I wrote, I hate films with dubbing, especially if it is dubbed in my language but I understand those who like dubbing. It's a matter of taste.

I can tolerate dubbing in other languages e.g. a Finnish film with English dubbing but I always prefer the original soundtrack.
I prefer to watch a foreign film with subtitles than with dubbing in my language. And it suits me best to watch such a film with a professional lector.
I also watch most stuff in the original language. But I always have friends and family that don’t understand English too well or dislike watching with subtitles. Also I would add that German dubbing industry is known for its high standards, often Hollywood actors even thank the professional dubbers or send them flowers when they got sick etc.

Have you ever watched the series House MD with Hugh Laurie?

Here is the German dub; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvSVro4RwOM

Here is the famous Gladiator scene with Russell Crowe in 15 different languages dubbed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUJCX3gFt24
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Whoever rutracker gets to do their voiceovers is horrible, an assault on the ears. And it's the same voice for every character too. Old men and ten year old girls all sound like burly Russian mob enforcers. The lines are about as well synced as a badly dubbed 1970's Kung Fu movie. Appropriate voices aren't chosen for the characters, and they don't even mute the original dialogue, you just have that brutish voice talking over it and drowning it out. With a properly dubbed movie only a mismatch between the mouth movements and the language remains. Sometimes you really have to look closely because the spoken lines start and end in perfect time with the person talking.

Yes, it can be done very well. The Russian voice tracks I usually encounter hunting for FLM type content though ... aggh!
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:33 pm Whoever rutracker gets to do their voiceovers is horrible, an assault on the ears.
This has of course nothing to do with rutracker. The same type of voiceover is used on TV and even on commercial DVDs.

Proper dubbing is just too expensive for some obscure movies that the TV station can license for almost nothing and subtitles can be difficult to read if you aren't used to them. Voiceover is still better than not getting to see those movies at all.
Night457 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:26 pm The professional lector is something almost completely alien to those who are not used to that tradition.
Indeed. WTF is "professional lector"?
David32441 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:38 pm That'd be great if somebody could get the LD and digitise it!!! All you need is a LD player that has the yellow analogue video out. Plug that into a video card that can take the analogue video - I have such a card but no LD player.
Composite video (yellow plug) probably won't have the best possible quality and my video card had terrible quality anyway. I've digitized VHS with an external device that plugs to S-Video and gives lossless digital video stream via Firewire (this can be encoded with Handbrake etc.) :ugeek:

But I don't have an LD player either... :oops:
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

mimzy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:15 am
deadman wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:33 pm Whoever rutracker gets to do their voiceovers is horrible, an assault on the ears.
This has of course nothing to do with rutracker. The same type of voiceover is used on TV and even on commercial DVDs.

Proper dubbing is just too expensive for some obscure movies that the TV station can license for almost nothing and subtitles can be difficult to read if you aren't used to them. Voiceover is still better than not getting to see those movies at all.

That guy actually may be doing his thing for rutracker. It's a huge torrent site in Russia, and just as we have people here who create DIY subtitles it's possible rutracker is having someone read the Russian subs - which they also usually include. I don't know that for sure of course. Don't quote me on it. They do sometimes have voiceovers on commercial discs, although usually with the original dialogue suppressed in volume.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

mimzy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:15 am Indeed. WTF is "professional lector"?
The person who does a voiceover, rather than a dub. I was responding to endurro's post before mine and using his term, since there is no such person in the American movie tradition and therefore I have no other name for that job.

A lector is a reader. My usage of the term would be the person who reads the lessons in a church service, or a university lecturer. The Polish word would be "lektor", and I see that in Polish torrent names all the time.
Composite video (yellow plug) probably won't have the best possible quality and my video card had terrible quality anyway. I've digitized VHS with an external device that plugs to S-Video and gives lossless digital video stream via Firewire (this can be encoded with Handbrake etc.) :ugeek:

I never owned one because I had no money when they were the big thing! But now I was wondering if laserdisc players even HAD S-video connection like I know some VHS players did. Apparently some did, but using it might not have been ideal. From https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/400 ... e-capture# --
Unlike tape formats, Laserdisc is a composite format in nature and should be captured that way, Converting to Y/C serves no purpose except if the capture card's digital comb filter separation is crap and the one inside the laserdisc is better, but I don't think the Y/C separation board inside a laserdisc player outperforms a decent capture card form 2000's and 2010's.
and
Since what's stored on the disc is composite video, as dellsam23 said, it depends on which device has the better comb filter, the laserdisc player or the capture device (and any other processing done by the devices). First of all, most laserdisc players don't have s-video outputs so you have not choice. Most of the players that did have s-video out had crappy composite to s-video converters that left most the chroma carrier in the composite signal.
And he goes on about chroma and luma. Umm, OK.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:03 am

I never owned one because I had no money when they were the big thing! But now I was wondering if laserdisc players even HAD S-video connection like I know some VHS players did. Apparently some did, but using it might not have been ideal. From https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/400 ... e-capture# --

I've never actually used a laserdisc player or even seen one up close. Did any of them have component video or VGA outputs?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

No component for laserdisc. Apparently there were laserdisc / DVD combo players (briefly, I assume) with component for the DVD portion, but it did not work for the laserdisc which had to use the composite.

I have only ever seen VGA used for computer monitors. But I read that they were used for some AV equipment. Though they are component - RGB- right? So they would not be used for laserdisc.

I only used laserdisc players in a university library where they were already hooked up. I did not have to worry about the names of cables and connections!