[REL] Gost'ya iz budushchego (1984)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Gost'ya iz budushchego (1984)

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Thanks Night! Yeah, all these random older shows have me really curious and interested. It's like, they're laid out in front of me as if they've always been around, but they're completely new to me. I completely relate about the interest versus lack of time. This one intrigues me and I'll check it out, but at a 5+ hour series runtime, I may have to shelve it for a while. I've been finding so many shows and movies here at flm, I feel like I'm saving up a watchlist that I'll get to after retirement.

I am currently downloading the 720p uloz file of the second episode and I'll check it out and let you know what it's like. I'll compare the subs, too.

But first, let me get distracted by another of my favorite diversions: this show is also based off a fully fledged Russian children's sci-fi novel, called "One Hundred Years Ahead" by Kir Bulychev. Based on the little research I've done, it isn't clear if this novel or any of his others were published in English. But every fansite about them said his Alisa series was incredibly popular in Russia. And deepL seems to take care of the translation issue.

I found a Russian ebook pretty easily and check out some of these passages. The book and its observations are all very imaginative and fun to read about.
- All right, we'll make do," said Kolya. - Thanks for the melon.
- Goodbye, then. Maybe I'll see you around. It's a pity you didn't wait for Alice, she would have helped you get into space. She knows a lot of people in the Far East Fleet. She's probably been to twenty planets by now.
- And how old is she? - Kolya asked. - When did she manage that?
- As old as you and me. Eleven.
- I am twelve, - said Kolya. - 'Greetings to Alice. I'm off.

------

- Did she fly into space? - Kolya asked.
- Yes. And more than once. She's already a more or less famous cosmologist.
- You say that too!  - said Kolya in disbelief. - She's a child.
- You yourself are a child! Does it matter how old a man is, as long as he knows his business?
In the past, Kolya himself would have subscribed with both hands to these wise words. He had repeatedly proved to his parents and even to his teachers that age did not matter and that adults had no right to flaunt their gray hair. But the adults would laugh at best, and at worst they would get indignant and think Kolya was cheeky. But now a sense of contradiction was stirring in Kolya. It was happening to him.

-----

Alice, a girl in a red jumpsuit, passed by. Over her shoulder hung a black bag. One of the mantises, seeing her, rose on his thin hind legs and stretched his front legs up, as if praying. Alice waved a hand to him, but did not stop. Kolya followed Alice.

If someone had said to Kolya now that he was jealous of Alice, Kolya would have been outraged. What's there to be jealous of? She was just later in being born. Kolya, on the other hand, was born on time and has been to the future. He's like a scout on a long journey. He flew ahead, saw how things were, then came back and continued on foot together with the others. That's the way it is. And yet, of course, he was a little jealous of Alice. She had seen so many interesting things. And her adventures were not ordinary. And in fact, when he got a closer look at her, he liked her. As a person. And Kolya followed Alice. It was interesting to see what she would do. Maybe another dinosaur was waiting for her.
But it turned out that Alice was heading for a building that said "Computer Center". But she did not get there in time. Towards her came out the director of the zoo, Professor Seleznev. Father and daughter met ten paces away from Kolya, so he heard every word of their conversation, but so they would not think he was eavesdropping, Kolya turned away to the cage, where a grim horned wolf, covered with iron scales, was running in circles.
- Barely found you, father," Alice said. - Everything is all right. Are you going away?
- Yes. I'll be back in two weeks.
- If you see my mother there, tell her I've read all the books she left me. If she comes back, we'll have a bet.
- Why, didn't you like them?
- It depends. It's a pity to waste time on fiction.
- You know, I'm not your ally in this," said Professor Seleznev. - I'm afraid you might grow up to be a dry and boring person. It seems to me that even two years ago you were much more cheerful and your favorite book was The Three Musketeers.
- And also "Space Zoology."
- Okay. (Chuckles) Don't forget to eat your breakfast.
- I would, but the robot Grishka will never let me. And if I want to have lunch, I'll go to grandma and grandpa. You won't go hungry there.
- Oh, by the way, did you take the myelophone again? You know it's not a toy. What if one of the animals gets sick?
- Am I playing?
- Alice, don't get me wrong. There are only twenty myelophones on Earth. They are distributed among the largest institutes and medical centers. The crystal in the center of the myelophone is so rare that in recent years, eight expeditions searched the asteroid Vlasta and found only twenty-six...
- Dad, you decided to give me a lecture? - Alice was surprised. - I know it very well. And I promise you: today, as soon as I finish the experiment with the hollow body, I'll return it to the clinic. You know that my word is firm. And what if the hollow bodies do think a little bit? Exactly when they're blooming?
- Maybe you're right. All right, I'm off. And don't forget your grandparents. They miss you, don't they?
Alice and her father kissed and left.
Kolya was about to follow Alice, when suddenly he saw two people sitting in the shade on a padded bench. One of them seemed to be dozing, with a wide-brimmed sombrero hat pulled down over his eyes. The other, half his height and three times thinner, wrapped in a blue cape so that only his nose and eyes protruded, felt Kolya's gaze and turned away.
Kolya could have sworn that these were the same people who had climbed out on the vases in the Martian ship. True, he was not one hundred percent sure...
pillowbaker

Night457 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:35 am AND 720p HD at Uloz:
https://ulozto.net/hledej?type=videos&q ... the+future
As noted by Night, the uloz links are unverified. I did download the first two of the 720p options and, while they have a nice quality and resolution, they are certainly cropped. It appears the show was filmed for standard TV aspect rations in mind, possibly (I'll look into it).

But check out the difference here:

youtube

[Image]

uloz 720p

[Image]

This is supposed to be a darling little shot of the darling Natalya Guseva, but it is ruined pretty badly. I'll look into other quality video files. ;)

EDIT:
This link here seems to be the best quality on YT I could find. Resolution does say 1080p but it still has the fuzzyness of 480p at best. Still looks pretty decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0fwHhUrhY

[Image]
Last edited by pillowbaker on Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:02 am As noted by Night, the uloz links are unverified. I did download the first two of the 720p options and, while they have a nice quality and resolution, they are certainly cropped. It appears the show was filmed for standard TV aspect rations in mind, possibly (I'll look into it).
AAAAAACKKK!!! That is horrible!!! I am deleting my uloz downloads and keeping the YouTube. Thank you VERY much for looking at this closely. I just downloaded and saved to a drive without doing comparisons. What a fool I am! :shock:

I will probably end up DLing the 576p full DVDs from blizzardkid, as that seems likely to be the best version at this point.

You are right, for 1984 TV it should be 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:24 am AAAAAACKKK!!! That is horrible!!! I am deleting my uloz downloads and keeping the YouTube. Thank you VERY much for looking at this closely. I just downloaded and saved to a drive without doing comparisons. What a fool I am! :shock:

I will probably end up DLing the 576p full DVDs from blizzardkid, as that seems likely to be the best version at this point.

You are right, for 1984 TV it should be 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9!
No worries, you did state in big red letters they were unverified! Normally I don't check either, but I have to say, Natalya Guseva is very darling in this role.

Let me know how you like those full DVDs. I'll be checking out rutracker in a bit as well. By the way, I did an edit of my post above with a new screenshot of a different YT upload. It looks ... mostly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0fwHhUrhY
Night457
Global Moderator

Those blizzardkid Russians are pretty consistent at coming up with good files! There are several DVD9 and DVD5 versions, and I picked one that immediately gave me a few healthy seeders in a torrent. I will report back when I actually HAVE it and have LOOKED at it!

Thanks for the additional YouTube link!
pillowbaker

Night457 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:46 am Those blizzardkid Russians are pretty consistent at coming up with good files! There are several DVD9 and DVD5 versions, and I picked one that immediately gave me a few healthy seeders in a torrent. I will report back when I actually HAVE it and have LOOKED at it!

Thanks for the additional YouTube link!
Thank you!

Here are a list of comparisons of the different DVD releases.
https://vobzor.com/page.php?id=447

General consensus (between this page and rutracker) is that the Twister and Rubico version are the best of the bunch. The Twister edition has a fancier disc menu and more fancy extras, while the Rubico has little of that but has English subtitles.
pillowbaker

I also found this last night. Wasn't sure if it was going to successfully download, so I didn't mention it before, but it appears to be a legit quality upscale of one of the suggested DVD sources.

Here's the link. It seems to be an interesting Russian torrent tracker. It offers this link to screenshot comparison. They look pretty decent, like they've only lightly touched up the source material and doesn't have much of the doll skin effect or fuzziness. Check it out.

It successfully downloaded last night. Files look pretty good.
[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Oof, I can't keep up with you on this pillowbaker! :) Apparently I torrented the Ruscico DVD version (on blizzardkid, it is the "2xDVD-9 (13.12GB)") and it went quickly. I won't worry about the Twister version extras because they are probably not subtitled and I don't know Russian. With 3 versions downloaded and one deleted, I think I am done.

Your "interesting Russian torrent tracker" link gives me a "403 - Forbidden". That is probably because I am being blocked for using a VPN.

Have you watched any full episodes yet? Do you like it?
pillowbaker

Night457 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:43 am With 3 versions downloaded and one deleted, I think I am done.

Your "interesting Russian torrent tracker" link gives me a "403 - Forbidden". That is probably because I am being blocked for using a VPN.

Have you watched any full episodes yet? Do you like it?
I know I know, sometimes when I get really into researching something, I get a little nuts. It's usually brief bursts that fizzle out over a day or two. Likewise, I also have several "test" versions downloaded-- all of them are somewhat older torrents and they still all completely downloaded, or at least the parts that I wanted. And once I seed back enough, time to go into trimming and deleting.

From what I've seen, the Ruscico DVDs are said to be equal to the Twister in terms of image quality. I also have no interest in a Twister full DVD with no subs.

As far as watching it goes, I think I will try watching the first couple episodes after I watch ghost's suggestion Bantu Mama. The series looks like it'll be fun but I am not going into it expecting a heart-warming favorite or a fantastic adventure. As for which encode I finally use, well if I can get the subs to work for the upscales, I'll go for those. If not those, I'll try either grabbing the Ruscico DVDs at blizzardkid or just streaming a decent subbed stream on YT.

Besides the original novel and the many variants of option to download or stream, I have also come across some other oddities about this series. One of them is a 4K upscale that has such a doll skin effect that totally throws me off and looks downright haunting. See the trailer for the upscale here. The other thing isn't quite so odd really, but the show has had such a cult following over the years, there are many fan made music videos featuring theme music or songs from the series. It feels like peeping into another world.

Not sure why the tracker main site doesn't like your vpn. I'm happy to post the torrent if you'd like, perhaps the tracker itself won't mind it so much. But the difference between the DVD and upscale, as you can tell by the screen comparisons, is certainly not drastic.
Night457
Global Moderator

pillowbaker wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:35 amAnd once I seed back enough, time to go into trimming and deleting.
Wow, you are dedicated. Once I decide I do not even want a file, it gets deleted and I DON'T SHARE NOTHING NO MORE!! :D And if it is already well-sourced, torrents get deleted anyway because I only have so much active drive space.
From what I've seen, the Ruscico DVDs are said to be equal to the Twister in terms of image quality. I also have no interest in a Twister full DVD with no subs.
I hate DVD subtitles and always use external ones when possible, so I did not actually NEED the subtitles included with the Ruscico DVDs. It only takes a few minutes to use MakeMKV to convert DVD files to MKVs. Then I used the subtitles you posted the link for at opensubtitles with the resulting episode MKV files. For the Ruscico version, I only had to resync the first episode; the rest of them were already synced.

I am sure the smaller-sized DVDrips at blizzardkid are good quality, but since I already downloaded the whole series twice I was not taking any more chances!
One of them is a 4K upscale that has such a doll skin effect that totally throws me off and looks downright haunting.
Creepy! A good part of that is the overapplication of DNR. I have seen worse when someone tries to upscale videotape rips to HD.

Also, it seems the little girl is wearing way too much mascara.

If my VPN is the problem for the tracker, I just have to shut it off! I did not want to interrupt my eMule sharing, that's all. I do not plan on getting that version anyway, but thank you!