Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Finally an expert, thank God! theoldmovies, listen to emuler!

(Hi emuler, glad you're back!)
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

I'm not an eMule expert, but I want to comment on what emuler said.
emuler wrote:1. Avoid running eMule off external drives - many external drives are not designed to be in use all the time.
Nowadays external and internal drives are usually identical inside, so this rule does not apply. Laptop harddisks used to have short lifetime when used continuously, but today with SSD this is no longer the case. Manufacturers have different models for different use cases, for example: https://www.westerndigital.com/solution ... lor-drives

The best is to have some sort of RAID (at least a mirror of 2 disks), so you don't lose data when a single drive fails.
emuler wrote:2. If you copy all the folders you moved back to local HDD/SSD but they are now in different locations, open options -> directories and add the location of the temp and incoming folders and restart eMule.
eMule has also a tool to "import" partfiles from another location.
theoldmovies

Post by theoldmovies »   1 likes

thanks for the help i think my files is back
i followed these steps:
open emule > option >directories >
there is two options
"incoming files"
"temporary files"
temporary files is the folder of parts of the emule
incoming files is where my films will be saved after it finshed

ps: when i said external drives i dont mean its a hard-desk i mean SSD
[Image]

let me know if i did the right way
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Looks OK to me. You might post the links that are not shared (select files, right-click and ed2k links), so we can see what we can do about it ;)
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

theoldmovies wrote: ps: when i said external drives i dont mean its a hard-disk i mean SSD
Watch out for power saving features of your USB controller if the external drive is USB connected - you don't want the drive to become unavailable.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:I'm not an eMule expert, but I want to comment on what emuler said.
emuler wrote:1. Avoid running eMule off external drives - many external drives are not designed to be in use all the time.
Nowadays external and internal drives are usually identical inside, so this rule does not apply. Laptop harddisks used to have short lifetime when used continuously, but today with SSD this is no longer the case. Manufacturers have different models for different use cases, for example: https://www.westerndigital.com/solution ... lor-drives
https://aesonlabs.ca/blogs/smr-or-cmr-h ... is-better/
mimzy

How does this relate to internal vs. external? AFAIK, SMR drives just get slower when there is not enough idle time for garbage collection. It does not shorten their lifetime. And there is no difference between SMR and CMR when reading.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:
How does this relate to internal vs. external? AFAIK, SMR drives just get slower when there is not enough idle time for garbage collection. It does not shorten their lifetime. And there is no difference between SMR and CMR when reading.
You're right - if we use the external drive for storage (eMule shared folder) but have the temp folder on an internal drive eMule should be fine.
mimzy

:roll: Still don't understand the logic. I think external SSD with USB3 is perfectly OK for everything, incl. using your wife's (or employer's) laptop without leaving traces on it ;)
Kriegshammer

Post by Kriegshammer »   0 likes

"Now type http://www.peerates.net/servers.php in the "Update server.Met from URL" box and click Update."

Im getting an invalid version when I do this step. Anyone else have a fix for this other than manually typing in each server?