Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Rich_Visiting

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by Rich_Visiting »   1 likes

Heyana wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:25 am Using eMule in 2022
*For images to load please sign in.

First of all, I highly, highly recommend using a paid VPN. Not only will it prevent your ISP from seeing what you do online, it also makes port forwarding incredibly easy. No messing with routers. For this guide a VPN is required. Optional steps are hidden by a spoiler....
Nice! I am curious on the differences between the peerates (https://www.peerates.net/en/) servers (listred in the OP) and the emule-security servers you listed. Not really the difference but why peerates seems to have more, are they dead servers listed at peerates? And why only 2 sources of servers? Are there other server lists, with different servers? I've wondered about this for some time. If one set up their own server how would they get it to be included in only the 2 server lists? Are new servers automatically added on detection? Perhaps it's a dumb question, it's not my area, but interested.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:35 pm Nice! I am curious on the differences between the peerates (https://www.peerates.net/en/) servers (listred in the OP) and the emule-security servers you listed. ... [etc]
Lots of good questions that I don't have the answers for, but I bet somebody here does and I hope they speak up and learn us good. Somewhere in the huge first post, I seem to remember that Phuzzy mentions that the links he has listed may not be active forever and members may need to search Google for replacement sources. I also know that sometime many years after the original guide, Phuzzy recommended the server list that *I* have been using. When emule newbies post that the old one does not work, I have repeatedly recommended the one that I know works. I am a pragmatist so I always go with what works, and don't spend time figuring out why something else does not. Like you said it's not my area of expertise!! Once someone has a working setup, they can explore other options if they are interested.

But YES, apparently there have been and probably are other server lists, but some of them have disappeared over the years. Some sites are not trustworthy and supposedly direct people to malicious servers, like those hosted by RIAA lawyers. Or at least they did back in the olden days when emule was more popular. (And the emule users more paranoid?) I know that oldtimers like you, Rich, remember those good old days. I never heard of emule until I discovered FLM a few years ago.

Looking again at the peerates page it DOES have a current date, but the server list that I use has a few more servers total when updated in my eMule client. I routinely do a daily update to pick up any that have dropped off my client, even though my default server is emule Security. Sometimes I get logged out of it and I want as many other options available as possible.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

I agree, it would be interesting to hear answers to those, and I too am of the opinion that "if it works don't fix it". Thanks for your support Night. I mentioned in another post some time ago that Euromaidan worked well with control over p2p servers since most were based in Ukraine (ahhh conspiracy :lol:). And also I wondered (in the day) about setting up my own server, so am interested. Let's see if any info arrives here now :mrgreen:

50 posts acording to the infomatics! Time for me to step aside and take a break for a while :x Enjoy guys! :baaa
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:44 am 50 posts acording to the infomatics!
Making up for lost time!
Rich_Visiting

Night457 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:22 am
Rich_Visiting wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:44 am 50 posts acording to the infomatics!
Making up for lost time!
Taking another little break to get my shit together. It's still interesting to me that no one knows who owns the servers (aside from where they are based), who controls the server list, or if there are other servers outside the serverlist? I don't think it's an issue with the stuff that's posted here which has already been released through some approving agency of some country. But interesting how traffic could potentially be monitored. I spent some time back in the day looking at imule (https://www.imule.onion.pet/ - use this at your own risk and don't try and download anything dumb, it is not safe) which I believe uses i2p (https://geti2p.net/en/) to avoid this. But honestly I think it is comparible to Freenet which has for a long time been known to have serious security issues (and also promised 'invisibility' at the time lol). In fact Tor has also shown to be cracked, so really there's nothing to be done except stay on the right side of the law. But back to point, I'd still be interested about new ed2k servers if there are such things.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:11 pmIn fact Tor has also shown to be cracked, so really there's nothing to be done except stay on the right side of the law.
What kind of boring advice is that, DAD? :P

Tor was created by computer geeks working for Naval Intelligence! If anyone knows the faults and how to exploit them, it would be government spy agencies. Whatever mild law-breaking I may or may not do likely would interest entertainment industry lawyers who promise a lifetime of torture and slavery as punishment, but is of no interest to the government.

I have made seemingly innocent eMule searches that give results I would not touch with a twenty-foot-pole, however. Don't look for any movie with "Dad" in the title.
But back to point, I'd still be interested about new ed2k servers if there are such things.
Only for curiosity's sake, or because you think the other servers would give better results?
Rich_Visiting

Night457 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:46 pm
Rich_Visiting wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:11 pmIn fact Tor has also shown to be cracked, so really there's nothing to be done except stay on the right side of the law.
What kind of boring advice is that, DAD? :P

Tor was created by computer geeks working for Naval Intelligence! If anyone knows the faults and how to exploit them, it would be government spy agencies. Whatever mild law-breaking I may or may not do likely would interest entertainment industry lawyers who promise a lifetime of torture and slavery as punishment, but is of no interest to the government.
I agree, we are not that interesting :( :lol: But then again, maybe some people are :think
Night457 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:46 pmI have made seemingly innocent eMule searches that give results I would not touch with a twenty-foot-pole, however. Don't look for any movie with "Dad" in the title.
But back to point, I'd still be interested about new ed2k servers if there are such things.
Only for curiosity's sake, or because you think the other servers would give better results?
eMule was surprising safe from the late 90's until mid to late 2000's, it took them a LONG time to catch on as attention was more on Newsgroups, then to Freenet, then to eMule. Now, everything is logged, and files tagged by the hash. Indeed, the hash is generally used over much of the Microsoft and other large networks to identify holders of certain files. :idea:

Curiosity. But also why be limited to servers on a serverlist that no one knows nothing about. Perhaps there would be other servers out there that indeed do have some more files of interest. Besides the possible monitoring.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:11 pm It's still interesting to me that no one knows who owns the servers (aside from where they are based), who controls the server list, or if there are other servers outside the serverlist?
I don't think the guys who run the servers want to tell us their names ;)

I haven't done much research on this, but most server lists AFAIK originate from some forums. In principle, we can host our own server list if we want.

Quite possibly there are servers that aren't listed anywhere.

Ultimately it doesn't matter which server you connect, at least as long as you use Kad.

Rich_Visiting wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:11 pm I don't think it's an issue with the stuff that's posted here which has already been released through some approving agency of some country. But interesting how traffic could potentially be monitored.
For example, LEA could be sharing illegal files and seeing who downloads them. They don't need a server that is under their control. But if you don't want to use servers, you can use Kad only. It probably won't work well with lowID, though.

Rich_Visiting wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:11 pm I spent some time back in the day looking at imule (https://www.imule.onion.pet/ - use this at your own risk and don't try and download anything dumb, it is not safe) which I believe uses i2p (https://geti2p.net/en/) to avoid this.
iMule is a waste of time. It is based on aMule (old version) and i2p, both of which are buggy as hell. Even if you get iMule to work, you only see iMule users on i2p network and there is nobody there, so there is nothing to download. And iMule does not support Kad, so you are relying on eMule servers on i2p network (if any).

eMule has massive amount of users; that itself gives relatively good anonymity and if you need more, you can combine it with VPN.
Rich_Visiting

mimzy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:40 pm
Rich_Visiting wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:11 pm It's still interesting to me that no one knows who owns the servers (aside from where they are based), who controls the server list, or if there are other servers outside the serverlist?
I don't think the guys who run the servers want to tell us their names ;)
Hmm so I guess they run through hosting services.
mimzy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:40 pmI haven't done much research on this, but most server lists AFAIK originate from some forums. In principle, we can host our own server list if we want.

Quite possibly there are servers that aren't listed anywhere.

Ultimately it doesn't matter which server you connect, at least as long as you use Kad.
Interesting, there is no "add server" list to to serverlists so I wonder which forums they frequent, and seems so disorganised / open to control. KAD true, I'm not sure how monitoring would take place here as I'm less familiar with the network.
Rich_Visiting wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:11 pm I don't think it's an issue with the stuff that's posted here which has already been released through some approving agency of some country. But interesting how traffic could potentially be monitored.
For example, LEA could be sharing illegal files and seeing who downloads them. They don't need a server that is under their control. But if you don't want to use servers, you can use Kad only. It probably won't work well with lowID, though.
I'm also not so familiar with how important ownership of a server would be in this situation. But I agree, the theory seems to be based upon share and request for reshare, as I understand it. But, perhaps it is a file request that sets things in motion. I certainly know that emule search terms are logged both remotely and stored internally.

Rich_Visiting wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:11 pm I spent some time back in the day looking at imule (https://www.imule.onion.pet/ - use this at your own risk and don't try and download anything dumb, it is not safe) which I believe uses i2p (https://geti2p.net/en/) to avoid this.
iMule is a waste of time. It is based on aMule (old version) and i2p, both of which are buggy as hell. Even if you get iMule to work, you only see iMule users on i2p network and there is nobody there, so there is nothing to download. And iMule does not support Kad, so you are relying on eMule servers on i2p network (if any).

eMule has massive amount of users; that itself gives relatively good anonymity and if you need more, you can combine it with VPN.
Thanks Mimzy for the insights, I did try imule before and as you say could not get any files. It is interesting to discuss.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:21 am I'm also not so familiar with how important ownership of a server would be in this situation. But I agree, the theory seems to be based upon share and request for reshare, as I understand it. But, perhaps it is a file request that sets things in motion. I certainly know that emule search terms are logged both remotely and stored internally.

Search terms can be logged, but they are rather useless for LEA, unless you use terms that only few people are supposed to know. LEA does have a collection of hashes of illegal files and it is very easy to see who is sharing those without owning the servers.

I only recommend to use eMule for legal movies. If you are looking for something else, think what is the motivation of somebody sharing that stuff. There can be a hidden catch.