[REL] Las malas intenciones AKA Bad Intentions (2011) [Peru]

emuler

Re: [REL] Las malas intenciones AKA Bad Intentions (2011) [Peru]

Post by emuler »   1 likes

If VideoSubFinder is throwing up too many errors (which sometimes happens if the hardcoded subtitles are using a font that VideoSubFinder is not too familiar with), try SubRip. Here you have to train the OCR engine, character by character, but that's not as daunting as it sounds, because future instances of the character are transcribed automatically and you won't be asked again. It will show you a picture of the character and you'll have enter the text from your keyboard. Do pay attention and select the bold and italic options correctly.
Last edited by emuler on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I tried to do it with SubRip before, but never really succeeded with it :(
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Me in four steps trying to use SubRip for OCR:

(1) :icon_1idiot

(2) :wall

(3) :eyecrazy

(4) :icon_killcomputer

And yet it was always the recommended software for OCR.

If it defeated ghost, I don't feel so bad now.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Suppose the first word is "The" When you start, it shows you a picture of the first letter in the subtitle. You tell it "this is a 'T'." It then shows you a picture of "h". You tell it "this is an "h"." and so on. Sometimes it will pick two letters that are very close together, eg. "th" instead of "t" and "h" separately. Then you have to tell it "this is "th"." Once it has learned a letter, it won't ask you again, so you'll only need to do this about 50 times (uppercase and lowercase). More if there are italics and bold variants of the font.

The video preview used to be glitchy. I used to disable it and just work with the pictures of the text that it would show.
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

emuler wrote:Suppose the first word is "The" When you start, it shows you a picture of the first letter in the subtitle. You tell it "this is a 'T'." It then shows you a picture of "h". You tell it "this is an "h"." and so on. Sometimes it will pick two letters that are very close together, eg. "th" instead of "t" and "h" separately. Then you have to tell it "this is "th"." Once it has learned a letter, it won't ask you again, so you'll only need to do this about 50 times (uppercase and lowercase). More if there are italics and bold variants of the font.

The video preview used to be glitchy. I used to disable it and just work with the pictures of the text that it would show.
Subtitle fonts with so little spacing between letters that they almost overlap are the worst. SubRip will lock onto a lot of those combination letters. What I really hate is when it picks the dot of an i and the "body" of the i separately, stuff like that. Bottom line: you have to proofread the end result no matter what, and sometimes manual corrections are necessary. Blu-ray subs are a lot easier to deal with. Many programs can handle them automatically and without error due to the improved resolution. Nothing about subtitles is ever easy. If you're lucky, it's not too much of a pain in the ass.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

[EDIT: looks like deadman beat me to it while I was typing. He had similar problems!]

Oh yeah, I understand the principle of the software -- I just could not get it to cooperate with me! Well, not true, I am pretty sure that 10 years ago I used it successfully. It is just that when I used it again in the past few years, I must have been using it on crummy subs / video that were hard to read, because it was in the "learning" stage for over 2 hours without finishing. It would grab either 2/3 of a character (or 1.33 characters) and want me to identify it as just one. Or the subtitles would have the same line of dialog repeated 3 times.

For example, Timmy shouts:

"Lassie, come home!
Lassie, come home!
Lassie, come home!"

And I would have to identify the characters all 3 times. It did not learn. I figured most likely I had some setting wrong in it, and just could not figure it out.

Anyway I AM likely going to try it again before I go on to VideoSubFinder, because it looks like I have an OCR project coming up. I hate admitting defeat, particularly at the hands of a damn machine.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

saroyan wrote:Upgrade:
Las.Malas.Intenciones.2011.720p.TDTRip.x264-Camiseta10.(Found.via.clan-sudamerica.net).mkv
This file doesn't have subtitles attached.
The one's I downloaded from a previous thread didn't match. After matching the first and last word and fixing using "Subtitle Workshops" clever retiming feature I found that in the above version there's about 1m30 cut from the film. I think it's not OT or anything - just a boring bit in the classroom about the history lesson! After I deleted that 1m30 of dialogue. to time it to this obvious line:

00:01:25,467 --> 00:01:28,185
Girls... bomb threat.
Time to evacuate.

and the last line:

01:40:13,200 --> 01:40:16,615
I am not invisble!
David32441

David32441 wrote:
saroyan wrote:Upgrade:
Las.Malas.Intenciones.2011.720p.TDTRip.x264-Camiseta10.(Found.via.clan-sudamerica.net).mkv
This file doesn't have subtitles attached.
The one's I downloaded from a previous thread didn't match. After matching the first and last word and fixing using "Subtitle Workshops" clever retiming feature I found that in the above version there's about 1m30 cut from the film. I think it's not OT or anything - just a boring bit in the classroom about the history lesson! After I deleted that 1m30 of dialogue. to time it to this obvious line:

00:01:25,467 --> 00:01:28,185
Girls... bomb threat.
Time to evacuate.

and the last line:

01:40:13,200 --> 01:40:16,615
I am not invisble!
... and even after fixing for the above issue, I set the first / last line of dialogue and the subtitles drift out by about 4 seconds meaning there's another small cut in the film somewhere near the middle! If anyone has subtitles to match Ghost's version - please upload. If not I will watch on my PC and upload a fix in a few weeks when I get round to this one.
David32441

Night457 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:32 pm [EDIT: looks like deadman beat me to it while I was typing. He had similar problems!]

Oh yeah, I understand the principle of the software -- I just could not get it to cooperate with me! Well, not true, I am pretty sure that 10 years ago I used it successfully. It is just that when I used it again in the past few years, I must have been using it on crummy subs / video that were hard to read, because it was in the "learning" stage for over 2 hours without finishing. It would grab either 2/3 of a character (or 1.33 characters) and want me to identify it as just one. Or the subtitles would have the same line of dialog repeated 3 times.

For example, Timmy shouts:

"Lassie, come home!
Lassie, come home!
Lassie, come home!"

And I would have to identify the characters all 3 times. It did not learn. I figured most likely I had some setting wrong in it, and just could not figure it out.

Anyway I AM likely going to try it again before I go on to VideoSubFinder, because it looks like I have an OCR project coming up. I hate admitting defeat, particularly at the hands of a damn machine.
I had issues with it reading a interlaced DVD once. Where it was trying to read text on an interlaced backgrond. And it came up a right mess so I gave up on it that time!