Can´t connect to KAD

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
jezevex

Can´t connect to KAD

Post by jezevex »   0 likes

Hello everybody,
I have installed W7 to my PC (Vista crashed totally) and since that KAD doesn´t work for me. I have opened ports as in my router, so in Windows firewall and my ED2K icon is "green" and test on this page
http://www.emule-project.net says that everything is in order. But KAD is red (connecting) and searching (for example Moonrise Kingdom, that returned me before crash tons of files (fakes, of course)), now 0 results.
Could anyone help me what to do, please?

Jezevex
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Can´t connect to KAD

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   2 likes

You might want to take a look at Step-by-Step eMule Setup. You have to set two ports in eMule, open those ports in your firewall, then forward those ports in your router/modem. Once that's done, you have to "bootstrap" kad. The step-by-step has instructions for doing that. You also have to tell your eMule client to use kad - go to Options > Connections and look for the check box.
jezevex

Thank you for your effort, but the problem is more specific and rare, I would say.
There is written that if you don´t open correctly the ports, you will have low ID. I had low ID many years and lived with it very well.
But now If I close the ports, I have low ID on ED2K. If I open the ports, I have high one. But KAD (the much more usefull network) is still "red".
So I think, that problem isn´t with ports (they decide, I think, only between low or high ID) or IP (I have static IP), but with bootstraping.
I cannot add any contact, still there is 0. I tried all servers from http://www.nodes-dat.com/, but didn´t succeed.
Any more specific help, please?
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

KAD uses UDP. Maybe you opened TCP port instead of UDP?
jezevex

I opened both. And in settings ticked connect as to ED2K, so to KAD network, of course.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

With eMule running, did you go to http://www.nodes-dat.com/ and click one of the "Add to eMule links?

Almost every problem with no connect or lowid is in your firewall or because the ports aren't opened in your router. Make sure you do NOT use the default ports that eMule uses when you first install it - use something oddball in the 16000-17000 range. Open those same ports for both incoming and outgoing in your firewall. Forward those same ports in your router. Click the "Test Ports" button in eMule to check that you have a connection.
jezevex

Last edited by jezevex on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Wasn't KAD port fixed at TCP port+3 :roll:

Try to forward 16050 (UDP) too.
jezevex

It works!
Maybe I wasn´t patient enough. It takes some minutes for me to join and bootstrap, but it doesn´t matter. Honestly, my modem belongs rather to museum ...
Now I´m greeeeen ...
But is it safe to have opened the ports all the time? Can somebody attack my PC?
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Great you got the problem solved :D
jezevex wrote:But is it safe to have opened the ports all the time? Can somebody attack my PC?
Well, somebody could theoretically attack your PC if there was a "security hole" (bug) in your eMule client. If you keep your client up to date, the risks are minimal.