[REL] Lime (2001)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Lime (2001)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

That is just a weird question to me. He watched it with his eyes. Or are you asking something else?

I watch movies all the time without having subtitles or knowledge of the language. I have watched this one, and I don't know Norwegian either.

And yes, those AI thingees will produce quite usable subtitles! I gave up on using them myself after a few failed tries, but others with better computers have had great success.
endurro

Post by endurro »   2 likes

@Night & others :)
In many threads you will notice the problem of finding any subtitles. If there are no subtitles, they cannot be translated into any language. :)

The only solution is to have the AI create the subtitles or find a human who can do it.

The subtitles produced by AI are far from perfect.
Maybe it would be worth creating a thread in the forum "Looking for a person with a good knowledge of language X to help create transcriptions in that language? "

For example, I would be interested in the help of someone from the Czech Republic, because I happen to have a Czech film for which I would like to create high-quality Polish subtitles. Unfortunately I don't have subtitles in any language for this film that I could translate.

Of course, if someone has problems with translating the Polish subtitles or with finding any subtitles for a Polish film, I will try to help in my free time.
reptile12

Re: [REL] Lime (2001) subtitles for this, STILL nothing??? :x :( :(

Post by reptile12 »   6 likes

Triela wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:52 am So, STILL no subtitles for this one, then? Can anyone MAKE them??? :x :x :( :( :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Triela

Re: [REL] Lime (2001) subtitles for this, STILL nothing??? :x :( :(

Post by Triela »   0 likes

reptile12 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:08 am
Triela wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:52 am So, STILL no subtitles for this one, then? Can anyone MAKE them??? :x :x :( :( :(
Wowee Zowee, thank you so much for these, I've been looking for the subtitles for this one since..... well, 2001, I'd guess.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sorry I respond så late I've been busy this last week(s) so... After I've watched it, I'll come back. But for now: tusen takk så mye
Triela

Post by Triela »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:38 pm That is just a weird question to me.
Yes, to YOU. But apparently we don't all have the talent to pick up what's the movie's about without subs, nor do we all have the capacity to enjoy movies in that way. For me, even watching an English language movie without subs, is like watching a painting from behind a fogged up window pane.
Or are you asking something else?
Like what?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Triela wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:39 am apparently we don't all have the talent to pick up what's the movie's about without subs
Oh ho no, don't overestimate me there, it is only SOME movies where I can do that. A talky French drama, not a chance. A quiet Japanese movie about family relationships where everyone sits unmoving on their tatami and avoids actually talking about what is on their minds for fear they might offend someone: totally lost. (With subtitles, I love Ozu films.)

But there are certain movies where the story is told visually, and that is more common in children's movies. Children are also more emotionally expressive and likely to show everything on their faces. I can figure things out from that. Adults talk (or write :mrgreen: ) quite a bit but say nothing. (Yes, criticizing myself here!)

I had convinced myself as an adult that I needed subtitles for "foreign" movies and acted accordingly. Eventually I was courageous (or bored?) enough to give some movies a chance without them, and was surprised at how much I understood. When I finally DID get subtitles, it turned out that I was generally correct in what I figured out. There was just so much MORE to it beyond that.

Honestly, "Lime" might NOT be a movie that is one of those easy to figure out. I watched it, but I don't remember it!
nor do we all have the capacity to enjoy movies in that way.
That is a fair point: I would never argue with what a person LIKES. You likes what you likes and I likes what I likes!

But supposedly you have been looking for subtitles for this movie for 22 years. (I have to presume that is off and on casually, rather than obsessively like Captain Ahab and his whale.) In all that time you NEVER watched it, and NEVER got any enjoyment from it?? If so, then why would you even care about it? I have seen plenty of movies without subtitles, and have only had LIMITED understanding of what was going on --- but there was still enough that it engaged my interest and left me wanting to know more. By my definition, that still counts as enjoying something, even if it was not fully satisfactory. In the olden days if I saw a movie based on a book that did not have the necessary subtitles and I wanted more understanding, I would search and see if I could find an English translation of the original source. I was rarely successful, but I still looked. ... Other movies I watch and see nothing that would motivate me to watch it again, so subtitles are not necessary for a non-viewing. This movie I would like to watch again with subtitles this time, even though I don't remember too well what I DID watch.
Like what?
I dunno. I always leave open the GREAT possibility that I can MISunderstand someone. Children are easier to understand but adults are trickier. So if I was leaping to unwarranted conclusions, I was ready to be corrected! But it seems that you WERE asking how someone could "watch" a movie without subtitles. And I had a very literal response. Put the videotape in the player and press Play and then sit back with one's eyes open.

I do hope you get to ENJOY this now, thanks to reptile12's subtitles!
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:48 pm But supposedly you have been looking for subtitles for this movie for 22 years. (I have to presume that is off and on casually, rather than obsessively like Captain Ahab and his whale.) In all that time you NEVER watched it, and NEVER got any enjoyment from it?? If so, then why would you even care about it?
Nope, never ever watched it. It feels like cheating myself out of a good experience doing that, and being spoilered. I also never ever watch just the OT clips of any FLM-movie, with the possible exception of 70s prn movies...
I got a movie with Eleonore Clearwine from viewtopic.php?t=1952 ... called "La clé sur la porte (1978)"
which i never watched, and I would've watched it with the help of AI transcribed French, but I didn't watch it, because reasons, and now the HDD is dead.... That's the price.

And yes, I'm Ahab, and you knowz it! ;) ;)